Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries

Did you know that you can get sweet potato fries at almost every restaurant in Vancouver? I love it! Therefore I have sweet potato fries (or yam fries as they are called here) just about every day. (and it's making me feel better about the whole not-being-able-to-find-candy-hearts-thing) :)

Last night was the Pairs Free Skate and both of our U.S. teams were amazing! Unfortunately we sold all of our tickets so I didn't get to watch it live but I did watch the whole event on TV in a downtown restaurant which was almost as cool.

It is super fun to be downtown! The atmosphere is very 'Olympic'! The streets are filled with people from all over the world...all wearing their country's gear and carrying their flags. When you walk around you hear dozens of other languages being spoken. Most of the restaurants have outdoor heated patios lined with TV's so everyone stops on the sidewalk to catch a glimpse of the action. And even though it rains almost every night, there is a huge outdoor festival/concert/fireworks show in Robson Square, complete with a plastic ice rink. Like I said in an earlier blog, it truly feels like the world is having a party and I got invited.

On a fashion note, the red mittens with the white maple leaf (that you all keep seeing on TV) are becoming very popular here and abroad. I got three requests yesterday from friends and family to purchase some as souvenirs!

Oh and we DID snag a couple of USA House passes yesterday and we are saving them for a night when there's a huge medal party there...I can't wait!

Tonight is the Men's Free Skate and I DO have a ticket to watch! All three of our men have a legitimate shot at medaling so the event is going to be very exciting! Go Team USA!

Tickets I'm trying to find: USA men's curling match (since they train in Duluth I figured I better try to go cheer for them), USA short track speed skating and USA hockey game...I'll keep you posted on what I come up with!



Bob and I with our medical team, Skip and Judy.


The countdown clock now counting up as the Games continue.


The Paralympic Games countdown clock (they take place about one week after the Olympics conclude).


A snowboarder zip-lining over the crowd in Robson Square.

Fireworks at Robson Square


A poster of the 1980 Miracle on Ice Hockey Team. They have a bunch of posters like this displayed right next to the countdown clock downtown.

1 comment:

  1. Julie,

    Stopped by to check out the blog..... I will show it to my students in the next few days..... Going to beg you to take a picture of the map of the Olympic Village (or something similar) and put it on the blog!


    Really cool blog.... Lots of fun to look at
    Mr Hattam

    We Want Maps! We Want Maps!

    ReplyDelete